The Hazardous Realm
The Hazardous Realm
READ ONLY MODE

The forum is now in read-only mode! It's only kept around for informative purposes and to prevent deadlinks!
Use e-mail to contact me instead. Any announcements would be made on my twitter account and any discussions would use some public platform instead.

Quest Error: Help Appreciated.

All topics related to the game 'Die by the Sword' and it's add-on 'Limb from Limb' go into this board!

Quest Error: Help Appreciated.

by Compootor » 03 Sep 2011 21:09

Hi everyone. I just recently discovered DBTS, when I purchased a copy - As well as LfL - I found at a garage sale down the street. The game was unopened in the box, plastic wrapper around it and everything and it looked nice when I opened it up and installed it, but when I played it, I had a few graphical glitches and the menu was really laggy. I simply assumed this was because the game was from - What? 1998? 99? And my Machine was simply a bit advanced for it.

So I searched for a patch that could fix these things. I found a couple of them, but neither seemed to do much. I stumbled upon the Xtended version when looking for a fix for my problems and decided to try it out. It worked flawlessly when I tried it out in the tutorial mode (Which up until then, had been refusing to start at all) and in Arena mode, but when I tried playing a Quest or Tournament, the game crashed, giving me an error, pictured here:

At first I suspected it may have something to do with the fact that the directory in the error message says 'die\\data..' instead of 'die\data..'. Now, I'm not so sure. I have seen one other person on this entire forum that has reported an error even similar to mine, so I'm assuming it's not really common. And if it isn't common, that must mean it's something specific to my game, and not a coding error in the latest version of the Xtended mod. That's why I'm not so sure it has anything to do with the directory having a typo in it.

I would really appreciate some help here because I would love to play this game. Arena is fun and all, but I'd really like to play the Quests.. And I don't even know what tournament is! So help me experience this awesome game and give me your thoughts on what I should do about this error.
Compootor
User

Re: Quest Error: Help Appreciated.

by Hazard » 03 Sep 2011 21:28

The problem might be that Xtended expects all data to be on disk (like it is with the GOG version), while the default installation from CD doesn't copy everything to disk.

The required data for the game is on the CDs in the "die" subfolder. Try the following:
- Create a new folder on disk where the game should be installed
- Insert the original DBTS CD and copy the content of the "die" subfolder from it into the newly created folder
- Now insert the LFL CD and again copy the content of the "die" subfolder, overwriting existing files.
- Copy the Xtended files into the folder
- Run xLauncher.exe

I guess this might help.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Compootor » 03 Sep 2011 22:23

I just tried following the to-do list you provided me with, checking everything off, making sure everything copied over correctly. I followed the instructions to the letter, just so we're clear on that. It doesn't appear to have worked though. I still get the same error when trying to start the DBTS quest. I didn't test Tournament mode or the LfL Quest, as all three errors must be caused by the same problem, so if one of them isn't fixed, I don't think the others are.

So solution nr. 1: Didn't work.
Compootor
User

by Hazard » 04 Sep 2011 08:38

Okay, thats strange. Do you have the english version of the game, or some other language?
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Compootor » 04 Sep 2011 14:49

I am running the English Version of the game, yes.
Compootor
User

by Hazard » 04 Sep 2011 15:31

Okay, several more things:

1) Does it help if you replace your stencils.atd with this one?

2) Which version of Windows do you use?

3) Do you run the game with a user account that has administrative rights (is able to install things and stuff like that)?

4) With Windows Vista or Windows 7: Try to right-click the xLauncher.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Compootor » 04 Sep 2011 16:03

Replacing the file didn't help. I am running Windows Vista SP 1. My account is the only one on the laptop, so I should think I have administrative rights. Running as Admin was something I had already tried. Everyone always suggests doing that, but I find It rarely fixes anything. This case was not an exception. For some reason, the game is still giving me the exception error.
Compootor
User

by Compootor » 04 Oct 2011 14:28

I still haven't gotten this fixed :S Any help at all is appreciated.
Compootor
User

by Hazard » 04 Oct 2011 17:00

Oh sorry, i forgot about that.

I did some adjustments in Xtended in the hopes that it might help in this situation. Try to download and install DBTS Xtended again.

If it still doesn't work try to check the registry for the installation path like this:
- Enter "regedit" into the command prompt at the bottom of your start menu and press enter. The Registry Editor should start now.
- Go to the following registry folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Interplay\Die By The Sword
or if 'Wow6432Node' doesn't exist:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Interplay\Die By The Sword
- It should contain two folders named "1.0" and "1.1". Both contain a "DestPath" and "SrcPath" value each. If any of those 4 path entries has a "\" at the end edit the entry and remove the "\".
- Now try to run the game again.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Hazard » 11 Oct 2011 17:51

Did one of those things help?
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

Return to 'Die by the Sword' Fan and Modding Community