The Hazardous Realm
The Hazardous Realm
READ ONLY MODE

The forum is now in read-only mode! It's only kept around for informative purposes and to prevent deadlinks!
Use e-mail to contact me instead. Any announcements would be made on my twitter account and any discussions would use some public platform instead.

xwindie.exe says the application was unable to start correct

All topics related to the game 'Die by the Sword' and it's add-on 'Limb from Limb' go into this board!

xwindie.exe says the application was unable to start correct

by Miasmatan » 02 Apr 2014 09:39

Ok I just signed up and got DtBS with the xtended launcher and it everytime I launch the game it says it couldn't start correctly
Miasmatan
User

Re: xwindie.exe says the application was unable to start cor

by Hazard » 02 Apr 2014 10:17

Hi Miasmatan, welcome to the forums!

Do you just get some generic windows error, or does the error message provide a more specific description of the problem?

So, the Launcher starts correctly, but starting the game causes the error?

One thing you might try is to make sure that you have all necessary DirectX versions installed by running this installer from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Miasmatan » 02 Apr 2014 14:54

Ok just to be clear I'm all up-to-date on directx and all of the other stuff launcher works fine but when the xwindie gets launched it says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."
Miasmatan
User

by Hazard » 02 Apr 2014 16:48

The error often seems to hint at file corruption. Do you get the same error when you try to launch the game without Xtended (by launching windie.exe)?

You could try to delete xwindie.exe (mind the "x". do NOT delete windie.exe!) and then re-download Xtended and overwrite the other files with those from the Xtended archive, to make sure that none of the Xtended files were corrupted.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Miasmatan » 03 Apr 2014 00:01

When I launch the WINDIE.EXE it gives me severe discolor but I'll try to do that (mozilla firefox often does this corrupted file download)
Miasmatan
User

by Miasmatan » 03 Apr 2014 00:06

Ok I tried your suggestion on replacing the files and it says the same thing.
Miasmatan
User

by Hazard » 04 Apr 2014 01:30

That's strange. Which Windows version are you using? XP/Vista/7/8? 32 or 64 bit?
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Miasmatan » 04 Apr 2014 02:46

I'm using Windows 7 with:

Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6600 @ 3.06GHz
Video Card Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset
Memory 3.0 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Miasmatan
User

by Hazard » 04 Apr 2014 04:43

Thanks for the infos.
Do you use Microsoft EMET? It's a tool that enables advanced modern security features for legacy applications. Xtended uses memory injection and other "hacky" stuff to re-wire many of the game's internal workings. EMET may apply security features to the game that interfere with those methods. EMET needs to be manually installed, so this probably won't be the culprit if you haven't.
Other security software might, in theory, interfere with it aswell. Do you use a virus scanner other than Microsoft's Security Essentials?
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by Miasmatan » 04 Apr 2014 08:26

I'm pretty sure I don't have EMET because I don't even know what it is and I got an expired Norton trial I was meaning to uninstall which I'm doing right now
Miasmatan
User

Return to 'Die by the Sword' Fan and Modding Community