The Hazardous Realm
The Hazardous Realm
READ ONLY MODE

The forum is now in read-only mode! It's only kept around for informative purposes and to prevent deadlinks!
Use e-mail to contact me instead. Any announcements would be made on my twitter account and any discussions would use some public platform instead.

How to edit Chars attributes?

All topics related to the game 'Die by the Sword' and it's add-on 'Limb from Limb' go into this board!

How to edit Chars attributes?

by ChessCheese1 » 03 Sep 2013 13:56

Hi, I was wondering how can I alter the attributes of chars? (Hit points, speed and damage). I want to make an alternative version of The_hero with more hitpoints, more damage and faster.

BTW I altered the bloody mess mode and put weapons on the Hexlers, it became a cool way of a big fight, too bad that when they kill me, it doesn't count points, and also I can't start the game without other players on the initial screen. If anyone is interested, I can put the code here, just made simple changes.

Also, I succeeded in changing the characters of Battle map, but I failed in putting more than 4 in a single team, help is appreciated on how to put more than 4 actors in a single team on Battle.

Thanks, love this game, it's a masterpiece.
ChessCheese1
User

Re: How to edit Chars attributes?

by Hazard » 03 Sep 2013 18:56

Welcome to the forums. :)

To edit a character:
- First, go into the Options of the Xtended Launcher and set Filesystem to "Prefer unpacked files on disk". This allows to just do changes in unpacked game files and leaving the ATD data files completely original and untouched.
- Now you need to extract the ATD file of the char you want to edit. You can use my ATD Packer for this. The file is named "the_hero", too, just like the char name used in scripts.
- You can find the extracted folder in the data folder of the DBTS installation afterwards. The "the_hero" subfolder contains all the data for the char now.
- The the_hero.STA file contains hitpoints and armor and stuff like that. Edit it with Notepad or any text editor like that.
- The the_hero.ATT file contains all other attributes of the char. There's lots of odd stuff in there. Very interesting but also quite fragile properties and many of those can easily mess up the character. It's probably best to always just do minor changes and test out if it still works without the char spazzing out.
- Do some changes and start up the game to try it out.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by ChessCheese1 » 03 Sep 2013 19:38

Thank you Hazard!

The ATD packer is not working, whenever I try to unpack the_hero, it shows an error message with the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Tantrum\Die by the Sword\data\the_hero\ABDOMEN.OFF'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at bn.a(Byte[] A_0, String A_1)
at ak.b(String A_0, Boolean A_1, String A_2)
at bl.b(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2012 (RTMLDR.030319-2000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ATDpack
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Tantrum/Die%20by%20the%20Sword/ATDpack.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2003 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2001 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2001 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.484 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
ChessCheese1
User

by Hazard » 03 Sep 2013 20:03

It might be a permissions issue, because writing in 'C:\Program Files' usually isn't allowed after installation. To change that, go into the properties of the "Die by the Sword" folder, edit the permissions and give "Users" the "Modify" right. Modifying DBTS game files will be allowed afterwards and the ATD Packer should (hopefully) work too.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by ChessCheese1 » 03 Sep 2013 20:37

You are probably right about the cause of the problem.

I double clicked on "Die by the sword" and tried to check the options to allow administrator to change the files, but just after I click "apply", everything goes back to how it was before. Can't understand why or the solution.
ChessCheese1
User

by ChessCheese1 » 04 Sep 2013 09:25

Ok, I was able to unpack running the ATD Packer as administrator.

Now I created a new character: The_legend. It's a stronger version of the-hero. I was able to add more speed already, but I am having trouble in adding more damage. I just want his sword to do more damage so as to easily cut the enemy's limbs. Not sure how to do that as in the ATT file I see "maximum damage", but not "damage". I hugely increased the max. damage, but that doesn't change much.
ChessCheese1
User

by Hazard » 04 Sep 2013 10:17

Ah, glad to hear that it works now.

To edit the damage you'll have to modify the weapon. The data of the sword of the hero is stored in WEAPONR.WPN . It contains three damage values for thrust, chop, and bash. Increasing the damages will, however, not just increase the likelyhood of cutting limbs off but will also cause enemies to die faster, because damage is always applied to the limb AND the actors main health.
The thrust damage factor seems to be ignored. Chop damage gets reduced when you don't hit with the edge. Bash damage is applied on every hit, depending on impact speed.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by ChessCheese1 » 04 Sep 2013 11:12

It worked! Now my legendary warrior is complete! Thank you!

If anyone is interested, I can send the file of the_legend. He runs faster, jumps higher, has 10x more HP, and his sword is more powerful than a lightsaber. It's cutting through any limbs very well too!
ChessCheese1
User

Return to 'Die by the Sword' Fan and Modding Community