The Hazardous Realm
The Hazardous Realm
READ ONLY MODE

The forum is now in read-only mode! It's only kept around for informative purposes and to prevent deadlinks!
Use e-mail to contact me instead. Any announcements would be made on my twitter account and any discussions would use some public platform instead.

Where can I get started on learning to mod?

All topics related to the game 'Die by the Sword' and it's add-on 'Limb from Limb' go into this board!

Where can I get started on learning to mod?

by udm » 09 Apr 2009 00:54

I'd like to start a project of my own on DBTS. I have modelling skills with Lightwave, and I can do texturing with Photoshop. I looked through the DBTS files using ATDpacker, but I'm still not quite sure where to begin

Let's say I want to begin by attempting to remake Enric. Some questions:

a) where can I get the Lightwave exporter? I read that it exists somewhere, but I can't find it, probably because the game's modding community isn't really active atm

b) Is there a tutorial that can get me started on doing models for DBTS? What I mean is, I'm not quite sure how the animations work in DBTS. Are the different limbs separate models being linked together in another file?

c) Actually, are there tutorials at all for, you know, any aspect of modding DBTS?

It's all very confusing working with something new like that. I really hope someone can give me a hand to get me started
udm
User

by udm » 09 May 2009 04:51

Just so you guys know, I still check here actively, hoping for a reply to my post :(
udm
User

by tons0phun » 05 Jun 2009 01:53

Stay strong-willed!

Maybe PM some other people around here, 'cause you know how forums send auto-notifications to people for that stuff. Get their attention.

I don't mod anything myself, I just love DBtS. So that's as useful as I'll be!
Good luck!
tons0phun
User

by udm » 11 Jun 2009 15:16

It's sad that the community isn't big. I think that if we have a large modding community, we can do something awesome with DBTS, especially considering how its a one-of-its-kind in the market right now

Just hoping that Hazard is still active, otherwise... :(
udm
User

by Hazard » 14 Jun 2009 02:33

Well, "active"... i'm still alive at least. ;) Haven't had much time to spend on modding and stuff like this for a while now. Pretty busy with RL stuff.

For model editing i only used the very old DbtS model editor of mine, which is FAR from comfortable. Never used Lightwave, thus i do not know how to get it to work with DbtS models.

I currently got several unfinished DbtS projects like the level editor announced years ago. :oops: At least i am finally able to run DbtS again, now i just need some free time.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by udm » 17 Jun 2009 11:22

At least i am finally able to run DbtS again, now i just need some free time.

That's enough consolation. How's the work on DX9 coming along?

Lightwave can convert to MAX files, and Blender, and other formats .obj. Do you know if any of these file formats work with DBTS?
udm
User

by Hazard » 17 Jun 2009 15:04

That's enough consolation. How's the work on DX9 coming along?

Lightwave can convert to MAX files, and Blender, and other formats .obj. Do you know if any of these file formats work with DBTS?

Highres and widescreen support works well already, but still needs alot of work.

The only model format supported by DbtS is the OFF format. I am also not able to change that with the DX9 engine. I'd love to make DbtS more flexible for texture and model formats, but to do this i have to hook alot deeper into the graphics engine.
Hazard
Hazardous Code Monkey

by udm » 17 Jun 2009 19:36

Ah well. It's too bad then. Thanks so much for the effort you've put in to the modding community

Anyway, if you have the time, stop by the GOG DBTS forum to say hello. It's definitely more active than here :P
udm
User

Return to 'Die by the Sword' Fan and Modding Community